www.flickr.com
Into the Depths: To Sleep or Not To Sleep

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

To Sleep or Not To Sleep

I am really, really tired. Profound, huh? Every night around ten, I start telling myself, "Self, tonight you are going to bed by 11." Then at 11:30 when I check the clock again, I say ok, by twelve. Eventually, a little closer to 1 am, I take myself upstairs and get ready for bed, read, then pass out. I am afraid I do this unknowingly on purpose. Yes that does make sense. ;) I know that if I get in my bed before I am bone tired, then I will lie there with thoughts racing through my head, completely helpless, or seemingly so, to make them stop. So to avoid my own brain, I stay awake until I know that when the light shuts off and my head hits the pillow, it's over, and I'm out. I don't just stay awake to stay awake, there is always something I can do. Watch t.v., wash clothes, clean something, read blogs(that is what I do most of the time) check my email, shop eBay, whatever strikes my fancy. Wasn't this an exciting post. I'd love to say good night, but I know that I will instead keep watching t.v. and checking out blogs to see who might be up for a late night post. Here's to being exhausted again tomorrow night.

7 Comments:

Blogger LiteratureLover said...

I know what you mean. I WANT to get to bed early almost every night. But then, as the night wears on, I seem to find too much to do and then it's really late by the time my head hits the pillow.

August 16, 2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger Bttrfly1976 said...

lol, I have noticed that about you. Sometimes you leave me a comment at 1:30 or so and I'm thinking, does that girl ever sleep??

August 16, 2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger jesprincess said...

I'm right there with you. I don't like going to bed because it's lonely. If I just wait until I am COMPLETELY exhausted I don't have to think about it. I just pass out.

P.S. I found you through literaturelover.

August 17, 2006 1:38 AM  
Blogger LiteratureLover said...

P.S. That video took me off guard. I didn't see it coming.

August 18, 2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Bttrfly1976 said...

yeah, talk about consequences for your actions! I love the song.

August 18, 2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger GUNNY said...

That routine of a bedtime auction (I hear 1AM ... do I hear 2? Who'll make it 2?) is my life.

Part of it is that I put too much on my plate, but I've been a lifelong insomniac. One just gets whipped by laying there for a few hours with too many thought racing though the mind.

I can't remember the last time I was in bed before 2AM, even on a Saturday night. The mornings just come early, but God's grace is sufficient for me to get things done, just while feeling like roadkill more often than not.

Is this an epidemic among bloggers?! We tend to be more introspective types, perhaps we're prone to sleeplessness.

August 19, 2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Bttrfly1976 said...

Interesting concept, Gunny, but you are probably onto something. Introspection leading to sleeplessness...hmmmm.

August 19, 2006 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home