Into the Depths: Medical Chaos

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Medical Chaos

My mother went for blood work today. Her white count is too low. She is at a .9 and must be at a 1.5 before she can get her next chemo treatment. She goes back to work half days tomorrow. As all her hair is falling out, and the doctors are not thrilled with her blood counts, she is a little stressed. She was able to go and get a wig after the doctors appointment which I think brightened her spirits a little. Now the biggest concern is being sure that she is nowhere near anyone sick as infection as simple as a cold could have the potential for fatality with her weakened immune system. We'll see, I guess.
I went back to work after the four day weekend today. Around noon I got the call that my sister had gone into preterm labor with the twins. She is at about 32 weeks and 3 days right now. So, not so sadly, I left work and drove down to Waco. She had gone for a regular OB appointment and they sent her directly to the hospital, so she was stuck on a bed hooked up to wires while my 4 and 6 year old nieces ran around the room. Luckily the army is family conscious so my brother in law was off work and there by the time I arrived. I took the girls to eat and they were sound asleep within five minutes of being back in the truck. I got the call that she wasn't slowing down fast enough, so they are keeping her overnight to make sure labor stops...hoping anyway. I went to Valley Mills and got the girls some clothes then took them to Rio and left them with another sister.(the one with five kids :-} )
That sister, the one who now is having fun with seven kids, has to drive my mother the hour trip to work in the morning, then find something to occupy said kids for four hours, then drive my mother back home. See, sometimes it is good to have to go to an 8-5 job. I am not envying her morning at all.
So, we are hoping my mothers blood counts go up and that she is exposed to no illnesses in the meantime. That way she can get her next chemo treatment so her blood counts can drop again. Viscous circle. We are also hoping that Jennifer's labor is stopped. Since they are having the girls in a Waco hospital with no NICU and there are no children's hospitals in Waco, if anything is serious the girls will have to be flown to Cooke's in Ft. Worth. Being 8 weeks early, that would almost be guaranteed. It won't be too bad once Jennifer is released, but those first couple of days when she is an hour and half away from her newborns could be ugly.
Anyway, that is all I know for now. I have to go put myself in bed so that maybe, probably not but maybe, I can get up on time for work tomorrow.

Well, tiny update. Just got off the phone. They are transporting Jennifer to a hospital in Austin equipped for preemies as they can not stop her labor. Did I mention Austin was another two hours in the opposite direction. Pray that they are safe and that we all figure out a way to juggle work, seeing sister and babies, taking care of sister's kids, and a three and a half hour drive each way to do all of that.


Blogger theresa said...

I know you must be very stressed out right now with all that is going on...I hope you got some peaceful rest last night so you can function today.

I will keep you in my prayers. My mom was just injured a few months ago and lots was going on, I remember those chaotic days and nights and long traveling along with keeping everything at work going smoothly. Sometimes we go through these rough times.

I hope you post pics of the twins when they are born...I trust that everything will be fine.

July 06, 2006 4:55 AM  
Blogger Shayne said...

Hey Stephanie,

I'll definitely be praying today. I finally got that post up, so check me out when you've got some down time. Tell me what you think.

Love ya girl.

July 06, 2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger Bttrfly1976 said...

Thank you both for your prayers. I and my family appreciate them. Shayne, I can't find your new post. Am I crazy? Theresa, I have read your posts about your mother and am so glad she is doing better. What a strong woman. Luckily they flew Jennifer to Dallas, so now it is a half hour drive rather than three and a half!

July 06, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger Bttrfly1976 said...

K, found it.

July 06, 2006 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home