www.flickr.com
Into the Depths: Not Sticks or Stones

Monday, August 25, 2008

Not Sticks or Stones

When God warned us to 'guard our tongue' I don't think He was kidding. I also don't think he meant it only toward cursing, negative speaking or gossip. My theory is that it's a pretty blanketed statement. What you plan to say may be only in jest, or perhaps just a matter of fact statement with absolutely no intended maliciousness. Words, though, cut deep.

Last night a friend of mine was talking to another woman in a jovial enough manner. However, what was said cut to the heart of the recipient of those words. Now my friend had no idea the circumstances in the other ladies life. She didn't realize that what she was speaking about had caused innumerable shed tears over the past several years. And yet, the damage was done. I won't get into what was said because I don't think it fair to either party. For one, to call out the one friend on what is her own private business and for the other because I know her well enough to know she truly meant no harm.

That being said, I think there has to be some allowance of grace when we are on the receiving end of harsh words. However, I think that as often as not the speaker (again being each of us) has no idea how their words may affect whomever they are speaking to. I am convicted as I am definitely one of the most sarcastic people I know. How often have my words impaled someone as I continue on my way none the wiser. I don't want to be that person. I don't want to be the inflicter of the pain and even the panic I saw in that woman's eyes last night.

I have to go practice with my nephew now so I can learn how to catch a stinking ball.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

Oh so true Stephanie...our words can leave lasting scars. I try to run things through an internal filter: "is it nice, is it true and is it necessary." If my words can't pass the test, I don't speak them. Period. And the more I practice it, the easier it's become.

August 29, 2008 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home