www.flickr.com
Into the Depths: Thunderstorms and Baseball

Friday, May 05, 2006

Thunderstorms and Baseball

I think thunderstorms are astoundingly beautiful.......Assuming there are no tornados mixed in of course. We have had hot, sunny days everyday this week, and storms with reverberating thunder and massive amounts of illuminating lightening each night. I love them. I don't, however, love it when my nephews baseball games get cancelled.

Sad that those games are the highlights of my week. I love watching them play. I hate when they play below there ability, but I love the way they strut their stuff after they hit a homerun. The eldest that is playing is starting pitcher for his team. I love the way he tries not to let the smile show on his face just after he strikes someone out. (This is his first year of kid pitch, so that doesn't happen all that often.) The youngest that is playing is three, his defense position includes dancing in circles, picking grass and watching dirt blow in the wind. However, when it's time to bat he is all about baseball. I love the way he looks back at us when he is on deck and says "you want me to hit it so higher." Of course we say yes! The middle player, age five, is also pitcher for his team. Mind you, he plays t-ball so he doesn't actually pitch the ball. But, I love it when he winds up and with all the energy he can muster, fires that imaginary ball right at the little batter. I love when he fields the ball, takes that extra second to make sure his aim is on and throws it straight to the first baseman with extraordinary precision for a five year old.

I love sports in general and am extremely competitive. So while I love watching them play, it is so hard for me to not get way too involved in the games. I get so invested and they typically have no idea why. At the last t-ball game there were some baseball politics going on and there were a ton of one sided calls. Our spectators actually got warned by the umpire to hush or we would be kicked out of the ballpark. COME ON! Luckily we won anyway otherwise it could have gotten really ugly. We were all (adults only of course) still pretty worked up after the game, and when I said I was mad, my nephew who had just won, was like, why are you mad. Oops. Hopefully in my immaturity I didn't make him believe that I was mad at him because of the game he played, he did awesome as a matter of fact. I will have to make sure I clarify that with him tomorrow at the next game.

I was really hoping to come up with a point by the time I finished typing all that. Didn't work, sorry. I figured I needed a new post, but couldn't think of anything to write about. It is 11:13 p.m. and I am waiting for my nieces to get here. (Timeliness is not one of my sisters strongest skills.) Anyway, they are staying the weekend with me as I will be out of town the next two weekends and didn't think I could go a whole month without seeing them. I am sitting on the couch watching t.v., surfing the internet looking for double strollers with matching carseats, not easy to find, and heating, using and then reheating a rice pack for my neck. I thought I just had a crick, but then today discovered there is a big knot right next to my spine on my upper neck. Doesn't feel that great. Since this week at work was horrible, I wanted to blame it on stress. Chances are, however, it is probably just from sleeping wrong.....OR.....From sitting in this slouched position, feet propped on the coffee table, head cocked to one side as I play on the internet for........................TORNADO WATCH..........NOOOOOO.......may have to go hide under a mattress in the bathroom soon......anyway, as I play on the internet for hours upon hours every single night. Probably that one. OK, now that I have rambled on for far too long about not much of anything, I am going to go be scared and hide from the tornado. If nothing else.........see ya in OZ!!

5 Comments:

Blogger LiteratureLover said...

I like your ramblings. Your nieces and nephews are blessed to have such a loving aunt (and I'm sure their parents appreciate the weekend off).

We've been having lots of tornado warnings here too. So maybe I'll see you "Somewhere over the rainbow..."

May 06, 2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger Bttrfly1976 said...

Thank you! You are too sweet. Luckily we were spared the terrible weather. Waco, however, got hit pretty good, so I am very thankful the girls were here. They live about fifteen minutes outside of Waco. I really like reading your blog too! I spent a couple hours the other night reading through your archives. I love your passion, honesty and depth!

May 06, 2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger heartsjoy said...

LOL, OZ, that was good. Be sure to wear your sparkly red shoes too! ;) How fun that you are getting time with nieces! You are so sweet oogling about all your little cuties! They sound adorable! Well, I hope you are sister there are safe with all those tornados!

May 06, 2006 10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

May 26, 2006 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

May 26, 2006 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home