www.flickr.com
Into the Depths: Big Mean Sharks

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Big Mean Sharks

I rocked my nephew to sleep tonight sitting on an eleventh floor balcony watching the waves crash into the shore. A thunderstorm is rolling in and the lightening was just beginning to illuminate the landscape. It was so peaceful I almost rocked myself to sleep. I am not sure what is so mesmerizing about the sound of the waves as they roll in, but it is almost hypnotic. I just want to sit here forever. It is of course quite dark now, except when the lightening strikes. Yet I can still see the whitecaps as they tumble over onto the shore only to turn and rush back out into the vastness. It is so strange to me that though I have never been to this particular beach before, this is at least my fifth time to look out on this very ocean. How incredibly vast. Even the thunder and lightening seem more powerful and infinite when their backdrop is the ocean. Especially when the lightening bolt is out in the midst of it and lights up forever with it's one strike.
My nephew, who is three, endured the nine and a half hour drive with only a few whines about when we would finally get to the "lotion." When we finally arrived, we didn't even take our things to the condo, we went straight to the beach and for his first time ever, he plunged into the depths of the ocean. (ok, I only let him get knee deep, but you know what I mean) As I was trying to get him to sleep he asked if he would get to swim again tomorrow, and I said of course. He said "Is that our pool?" I said yep. He said "Who dug it for us?" I said uhhh. He said "God." Why yes He did! :o) Then he proceeded to ask about the fish and the sharks, agreeing that God made them all, then he said "What about the big mean sharks?" I said, yeah, God made them too, they just make bad decisions. He said "Yep, they need time out." How cute is he. Hopefully, regardless of the fact that God made them, He won't be swimming up to hug any of the "nice ones" as he puts it.
k, I was wrong, storms don't just seem more powerful at the ocean, they are. There aren't hurricanes in May are there?????????????

2 Comments:

Blogger heartsjoy said...

This is TOOOO Cute! What a cutie he is! I got a good laugh out of the answers you came up with as well as him...Who dug it for us...God! HoW PRECIOUS!!!

May 16, 2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger LiteratureLover said...

Cracking up! That is so precious. What a sweetie!

May 17, 2006 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home